Conveniently located to serve Tacoma and Seattle
Men affected by gynecomastia are often self-conscious about the appearance of their chest. In many cases, surgical intervention is the best way to eliminate excess breast tissue in gynecomastia patients.
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Roy Semlacher is a top provider of gynecomastia surgery in Tacoma. He has helped many men achieve more masculine chest contours with this procedure. His patients frequently report increased confidence and an improved quality of life as a result of gynecomastia surgery.
What is gynecomastia?
It is common to hear about women having issues about breasts sizes, but it is not very often that we hear about men wanting to reduce their breast size. However, enlargement of the male breast tissue, also known as gynecomastia, is a condition that affects an increasing number of men.
What causes gynecomastia?
- Gynecomastia is mostly a result of hormonal imbalance in a man’s body when there is an excessive production of estrogen, or the female hormone, making its content-level higher compared to androgen, or the male hormone. This is commonly seen in puberty in developing young boys, when hormonal activity is significantly increased. However, it may also be seen during infancy when the infant breast-feeds and consequently ingests high levels of the mother’s hormone through breastmilk. This condition has also been seen in increasing incidences with middle-aged to older men.
- Gynecomastia has also been seen as a result of certain medications. This includes some antibiotics, some hypertensive drugs, anti-ulcer drugs, and anti-androgen drugs.
- Similarly, drug abuse of certain substances like heroin, marijuana, or alcohol may also result in gynecomastia
- Certain conditions like liver cirrhosis, kidney failure, hyperthyroidism, malnutrition, and testicular cancer may also cause gynecomastia
How is gynecomastia diagnosed?
Gynecomastia is almost always misconstrued in overweight men as the deposition of large amounts of fat around the breast tissue. On the contrary, patients with gynecomastia experience an enlargement of the actual glandular tissue that is generally centralized around the patient’s nipples, often in the absence of fat.
Enlarged breast tissue in a male patient that is greater than 0.5 cm is usually already indicative of gynecomastia, especially because men normally have so little of this tissue. In most cases, a thorough physical examination is needed to properly diagnose the condition.
Blood tests will also be carried out in order to assess thyroid, kidney, and liver function in affected patients. These tests will also give the doctors the measurement of the levels of hormones present in the patient’s bloodstream.
I am three weeks post-op and had a wonderful experience. I went to Dr. Semlacher in Carmichael/Sacramento. My friend had gone to Dr. Semlacher last year and also had a wonderful experience… Read more.
What are the treatments available for gynecomastia?
In most cases, gynecomastia disappears on its own, about six months or so after the male patient reaches puberty. However, in cases when the condition already requires intervention, the following options are available:
- Hormone therapy to normalize the levels of testosterone in the body
- Reduction mammoplasty is a surgical procedure that reduces the size of male breast tissues in cases of severe or long-term gynecomastia that can no longer be managed using conventional drug therapy.
What is reduction mammoplasty?
Reduction mammoplasty, also known as male breast reduction, is a very effective way to remove excess tissue from the chest in order to address male breasts. At the start of the surgery, anesthesia is administered.
To remove excess stubborn fatty tissue, liposuction is used. To remove excess glandular breast tissue, excision of the tissue is performed with a scalpel. Excess skin can also be removed with a scalpel during this process. Finally, any incisions that were created are closed using sutures.
Aftercare instructions will be provided to guide you through your recovery. It is important to follow these instructions carefully to support optimal healing.
Reduction mammoplasty cost
The price of addressing gynecomastia with male breast reduction varies. Cost depends on the amount of tissue removed, the techniques used, the anesthesia used, and the overall time required to perform the surgery.
Arrange your consultation
To schedule a consultation and learn more about your treatment options for gynecomastia in Tacoma, contact the office of Dr. Roy Semlacher. He has the skills and experience needed to give you a more masculine chest.